Mslexia, the magazine for women who write | www.mslexia.co.uk
Please make sure you have read the rules before submitting
- Poems may be any length. Sequences of differently-titled poems must be entered as separate poems. A poem of several parts may be entered as one poem.
- Type each poem on A4 pages, singlesided. If a poem is longer than one page, please number the pages.
- Poems are judged anonymously, so do not put your name on the same sheet as your poems. Use a separate cover page with your name, address, telephone number and email address, plus the title/s of the poem/s you are submitting.
- No alterations may be made to a poem once it has been submitted.
- You may enter any number of poems, but you may only win one prize in the single poem competition. This is to allow for the maximum number of entrants to receive recognition.
- Your poems will not be returned. For confirmation that we have received a
postal entry, please enclose an SAE marked ‘Acknowledgement’.
- Winners will be contacted in August 2014 and winning poems published in the Sep/Oct/Nov 2014 issue of Mslexia.
Copyright of each poem remains with the author, but Mslexia has the right to publish winning poems in its magazine, website and related material for PR purposes.
- Poems should be in English (or English dialect) and should not have been published or accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Poems that have won or are under consideration in other poetry competitions are not eligible.
- Poems should not be a translation of another author’s work.
- We accept poems from women of any nationality from any country, but not from Mslexia employees.
- You do not have to subscribe to Mslexia to be eligible, but you must be a woman.
- To be considered for our new £1,000 prize for an unpublished woman poet, please mark your cover page with a large ‘U’ at the top above your name and contact information.
- Unpublished poets will be judged alongside published poets for the other prizes in the competition. The £1,000 is a separate prize amount, which will be added to any other prize the unpublished poet might win.
- By ‘unpublished’, we mean women who have never had a poem chosen for publication, on paper or online, by an independent external selective editorial process.
HOW TO ENTER
- If entering by post, mark your envelope ‘Women’s Poetry Competition’ and send it postmarked no later than 16 June to Mslexia Publications Ltd, PO Box 656, Freepost NEA 5566, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1BR. Sorry, FREEPOST is not available for overseas entries. You can pay by cheque (payable to Mslexia Publications Ltd) or by debit/credit card (phone +44 (0)191 204 8860 with your details). You can also pay for your postal entry via our website, but in this case you must include with your poems a note of the date on which you paid, and the email address you used.
- The £7 entry fee allows entry of up to, three poems. You may enter as many times as you like, provided each set of poems is accompanied by the £7 fee.
- Entry fees must be in pounds sterling. For other currencies, please pay online via PayPal, which will convert your fee into pounds sterling.
- Acceptance of any element of the prize is optional.
- The date of the writing retreat is to be agreed between Cove Park and the competition winner. The retreat is accommodation only.
- The date of the mentoring session with the Editor of Poetry Review is to be agreed between the Editor and the competition winner.
- The winner is responsible for any other expenses involved in attending the retreat and mentoring (e.g. travel, food, etc.). These prizes must be taken before 31 December 2015
For more information or clarification, check the FAQs or contact us at email@example.com or +44 (0) 191 204 8860.
Closing date: 16 JUNE 2014