Mslexia, the magazine for women who write | www.mslexia.co.uk
Please make sure you have read the rules before submitting
- Poems may be in any style, of any length, on any subject. Sequences of differently-titled poems must be entered as separate poems. A poem that is structured in several parts may be entered as one poem.
- Type each poem, single spaced, on A4 pages, single sided. If a poem is longer than one page, please number the pages. Type the title on the same sheet as the poem.
- Your poems will be judged anonymously, so do not write your name on the same sheet as your poems. Use a separate cover page with your name, address, telephone number and email address, plus a list of the title/s of the poem/s you are submitting.
- No alterations may be made to a poem once it has been submitted.
- You may enter any number of poems, but you may only win one prize in the competition. This is to allow for the maximum number of entrants to receive recognition.
- Your poems will not be returned, so don’t forget to keep a copy. If you want confirmation that we have received your postal entry, please enclose an SAE labeled ‘Acknowledgement’. Sorry, we do not send copies of the results to entrants.
- Winners will be contacted by post in August 2013 and winning poems will be published in the Sep/Oct/Nov 2013 issue of Mslexia.
- Copyright of each poem remains with the author, but Mslexia has the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems in its magazine and on its website, as well as retaining unrestricted rights to use the winning poems and any related material for PR purposes.
- Poems should be in English (or English dialect) and should not have been published or accepted for publication elsewhere, including in online publications.
- Poems that have won or are under consideration in other poetry competitions are not eligible.
- Poems should not be a translation of another author’s work.
- We will accept poems from women of any nationality from any country.
- You do not have to subscribe to Mslexia to be eligible, but you do have to be a woman.
- Employees of Mslexia are not eligible.
HOW TO ENTER
- Send your poems by post or enter online.
- If entering by post, mark your envelope ‘Women’s Poetry Competition’ and send it postmarked no later than 17 June 2013 to Mslexia Publications Ltd, PO Box 656, Freepost NEA5566, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1BR. We regret FREEPOST is not available for entries from overseas.
- If entering online, be sure to follow the instructions on the website carefully. Poems should be sent as a single attachment, with each poem starting on a new page.
- The entry fee of £7 allows you to enter up to three poems. You may enter as many times as you like, provided each set of poems is accompanied by the £7 entry fee.
- Entry fees must be in pounds sterling. If you want to use a different currency, please pay online via PayPal, which will convert your fee automatically into pounds sterling.
- You can pay by cheque (payable to Mslexia Publications Ltd) or by debit or credit card (phone +44 (0)191 204 8860 with your details). You can also pay online via our website, but in this case you must include with your poems a note of the date on which you paid, and the email address you used, so that we can trace your payment.
- Acceptance of any element of the prize is optional. If the winner is unable to attend the retreat or mentoring afternoon, these will be offered to other winners.
- The date of the Cove Park retreat is to be agreed between Cove Park and the competition winner. The retreat is accommodation only.
- The date of the mentoring afternoon with the Editor of Poetry Review is to be agreed between the Editor and the competition winner.
- The winner is responsible for any other expenses involved in attending the Cove Park retreat and the mentoring afternoon (e.g. travel, food, etc.). These prizes must be taken before 31 December 2014.
For more information or clarification, check the FAQs or contact us at email@example.com or +44 (0) 191 204 8860.
Closing date: 17 JUNE 2013