Mslexia, the magazine for women who write | www.Mslexia.co.uk
About the magazine
There is nothing like Mslexia
Mslexia tells you all you need to know about exploring your creativity and getting into print.
No other magazine provides Mslexia's unique mix of debate and analysis, advice and inspiration; news, reviews, interviews; competitions, events, courses, grants. All served up with a challenging selection of new poetry and prose.
Mslexia is read by top authors and absolute beginners. A quarterly masterclass in the business and psychology of writing, it's the essential magazine for women who write.
'diverse and brilliant' Fay Weldon
'intelligent and creative' Time Out
'my favourite women's magazine' Wendy Cope
'the best I've read on the subject' Independent
'full of essential information' Daily Mail
'astute, invigorating and above all an excellent read' Helen Dunmore
Information and inspiration
- what agents and publishers are looking for
- how to turn your own life into literature
- exercises to stretch your imagination
- analysis of publishing trends
- interviews with top authors about their writing methods
- masterclasses in prose and poetry
- the anatomy of a bestseller
- tips for coping with rejection
- getting started as a freelance journalist
- reviews of the best new books by women
- insider information on the book industry
- a regular showcase of new writing by women
- professional guidance through a range of writing genres
- the latest news on competitions, submissions, literary events, courses and retreats
- answers to your questions on the writing and publishing trades
Charlotte Mendelson, Bidisha, Jo Shapcott, Diana Evans, Fay Weldon, Aminatta Forna, Helen Simpson, Jean Sprackland, Fi Glover, Tracy Chevalier, Joanna Briscoe, Shami Chakrabarti, Scarlett Thomas, Danuta Kean, Margaret Atwood, Pat Barker, Penelope Shuttle, Kirsty Gunn, Sophie Kinsella, Stella Duffy, Tess Gerritsen, Helen Dunmore, Carol Ann Duffy, Germaine Greer, Selima Hill, Glenda Jackson, A L Kennedy, Val McDermid, Jenni Murray, Julie Myerson, Sarah Waters, Susie Orbach, Michèle Roberts, Maeve Binchy, Martina Cole, Emma Brockes, Sara Wheeler, Kate Grenville, Meera Syal and more…
More than just a magazine
We are a vibrant, ambitious and growing organisation, commissioning work by prominent authors as well as talented newcomers. We aim to provide a high-profile platform for new and established voices with every copy of the magazine. Since the magazine was launched in 1999, Mslexia has become the magazine for women writers to submit to. If you want to take your writing more seriously - or have some serious fun with your creativity - subscribe to Mslexia.
Mslexia means women’s writing (ms = woman lexia = words). Its association with dyslexia is intentional. Dyslexia is a difficulty, more prevalent in men, with reading and spelling; Mslexia was created to address a difficulty, more prevalent in women, with getting into print.
Want to know more? Read the article 'Three cures for Mslexia' written by Editor Debbie Taylor from the launch issue of the magazine, which analyses some of the issues at stake.
- Editorial Director
- Partnerships Director
- Books Editor
- Administration Manager
- Subscriptions and Projects Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Marketing and Web Manager
- Directory and Advertising Sales Manager
- Poetry advisor
- More about the Mslexia team
- Website/freelance design
- Magazine design
Juliette Boiseau, Outline Design
- Founding Editor
Avril Scott Claire Byers Victoria Bazin Claire Malcolm Jeannie Adams